Mini Design Challenge
Rube Goldberg Machine with a Halloween Twist
Your Challenge is to build a Rube Goldberg Machine with a Halloween Twist
Let’s get started! Your Halloween themed Rube Goldberg Machine must do something at the end. This could be to turn off a light, put candy in a cauldron, make a scary noise. Surprise us with something spooky!
Your Rube Goldberg Machine should include:
- 8 Steps
- 5 Simple Machines
- 3 Energy Transfers in a Chain Reaction
- Name your Machine!
- Have Fun!
- Plan your machine on paper or white board. You need 8 steps that do something spooky at the end.
- Be creative
- Include your simple machines
- Look for how you can incorporate energy transfers (for ex: dominoes release kinetic energy as they knock the next domino and move to the next step. When a marble rolls, its’ gravitational potential energy is converted to kinetic energy. What is the marble rolling down? You guessed it, a simple machine.)
- Does your Rube Goldberg Machine contain a chain reaction? The dictionary says; A chain reaction is a series of events in which each event is the result of the one preceding and the cause of the one following.
- Capture your Rube Goldberg Machine with pics or video. Contact Us to submit.
There are so many great examples of a Rube Goldberg Machine.
Check Out one of our favorites from OK Go.
Who Was Rube Goldberg?
Rube Goldberg (1883-1970) was a Pulitzer Prize winning cartoonist best known for his zany invention cartoons. Fun Fact! Rube Goldberg was also an engineer and inventor combining STEM + Art or STEAM. Learn more at RubeGoldberg.org.
What Is a Rube Goldberg Machine?
A Rube Goldberg Machine is an overly complicated contraption or series of contraptions designed to perform a simple task. Often Rube Goldberg Machines are described as a chain reaction and include simple machines. Rube Goldberg Machines are fun and funny…a great combination!
What Is a Rube Goldberg Challenge?
The Rube Goldberg Machine Contest started at Purdue University in 1949 as a competition between fraternities. Rube Goldberg Challenges and Competitions are held for all ages around the world. It’s a great family activity! More at RubeGoldberg.org.